Spice up your meal with healthy salad bowls prepared using homemade masala lemon dressing. It is a straightforward salad dressing recipe inspired by the quintessential Indian spice mix named Garam Masala. Garam masala consists of several aromatic Indian spices, which are ground in specific quantities and ratios. The masala is stored in air-tight containers to extend the shelf life and preserve the freshness of the seasoning & condiments used in it.
The masala lemon dressing goes well with quinoa lentil salad and various types of warm grain bowls. I prepared quinoa, veggies, greens, and red lentils salad bowl tossed in this dressing, as shown in picture #3. Prepare your salad and grains bowls using this simple yet flavorful salad dressing for countless variations of healthy meal-bowl combos.
- 4 tsp olive oil.
- 1/4 cup lemon juice.
- 2 small cloves of garlic.
- 1 tsp garam masala.
(I use Everest brand’s garam masala, but you can pick any garam masala of your choice.)
- 1/4 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder.
- 1/2 tsp ground cilantro seeds. (It’s also known as coriander powder.)
- 1 tsp honey or as per your taste.
(Alternatively, you can use sugar of your choice.)
- Salt as per your taste.
- Squeeze lemon juice and keep it aside.
- Mince the garlic cloves.
- Add lemon juice, ground cilantro seeds, red chili powder, garam masala, sugar, salt, minced garlic, and olive oil into a jar with a lid.
- Next, cover the jar with the lid. Shake vigorously for a couple of minutes. It will form a temporary emulsion.
- Keep it aside. It takes about an hour for the flavors to mellow down.
- Shake well before using it in the salad.
- Quinoa and red lentils salad bowl prepared using this dressing, as shown in picture #3
Masala lemon dressing is light and delicious. Another variation to explore is substituting garam masala with the Maharashtrian style ‘Goda’ masala, but I’ve to yet try that fusion. You can add a lemon rind for an extra tang.