Sprouted whole green gram coconut salad is a healthy and refreshing salad, seasoned with homemade orange cumin dressing. It is a wholesome and fulfilling salad that tastes incredibly delicious. Moong bean, also know as Mung bean or green gram, belongs to a legume family. The legume offers multiple health benefits. It’s a prevalent ingredient in Indian cooking. The typical Indian moong bean salad preparation uses onion and tomatoes then seasoned with lemon juice. I tried a fusion twist in the salad preparation and came up with this recipe.
- Three to four cups of finely chopped spring mix.
- 2 Persian cucumbers.
- One cup of sprouted moong beans.
- 3 tbsp freshly grated coconut.
- 1/2 red onion.
(Equivalent to 3/4th cup of diced red onion.)
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper or as per your taste.
- 3 tbsp orange cumin dressing.
(The quantity required for the dressing a lot more than needed for one or two servings of salad preparations.)
- 1/3rd cup of extra virgin olive oil.
- 1/4th cup of rice vinegar.
- 1 tsp ground cumin.
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes.
- 2 tsp orange zest.
- 4 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice.
- One and a half tbsp of Dijon mustard.
- Two pinches of ground black pepper.
- A pinch of grated ginger. (optional)
- Salt to taste.
(Note: If you are watching your salt intake, Dijon mustard has 4% sodium per serving, so adjust accordingly.)
- 1 tsp honey.
- Prepare the orange zest by carefully cutting off thin slices of the top of the orange peel and then cut those slices into strips
- Prepare orange juice in a juicer or a blender.
- Add orange zest, orange juice, Dijon mustard, ground cumin, honey, red pepper flakes, vinegar, salt, pepper, and olive oil into a jar with a lid.
- Next, cover the jar with the lid. Shake vigorously for a couple of minutes. It will form a temporary emulsion.
- If you prefer a thicker consistency, add all ingredients in a food processor except olive oil, while the food processor is running, slowly add the olive oil. It helps to emulsify.
- Transfer the dressing in an airtight container and refrigerate it.
- Peel and chop the cucumbers.
- Finely dice onion and jalapeño peppers.
- In a salad bowl, toss the sprouted moong beans, chopped cucumbers, freshly grated coconut, diced onions, and peppers.
- Next, Add the orange cumin dressing, a pinch of salt, and gently toss once more.
- Grab your fork and dig-in.
Sprouting whole green gram is multiple days process. Soak moong bean overnight, strain them, transfer the legumes in a sprout-maker or a bowl. Cover them with a kitchen towel and set them aside in a warm place in the house. After 24 hrs, you should see tiny little white shoots developing. I prefer to keep them sprouting for two days to get the bigger sprouts.