Canapés are baked in tiny cups made out of refined flour. Canapés chaat is one of my favorite finger foods. It’s difficult to find fine crispy canapé cups in the bay area, I have tried to use baked phyllo shells, but they are not crispy enough. To make them crispy, I baked them for 6 mins before preparing these tiny chaat baskets. Hopefully, I will get some time to bake my own canapés’ cups later this month.
- 15 Canapés cups or ready to use (baked) phyllo shells.
(I generally buy the shells from Nob hill.)
- 1 tbsp of tamarind-dates chutney.
(I prefer to cook the chutney at home, but it’s also available in local stores.)
- 1/2 tsp chaat masala.
(It’s widely available in Indian grocery stores.)
- 1 tsp of Kashmiri red chili powder.
(Kashmiri red chili powder has a nice red color and is not hot.)
- 1/2 cup of finely diced tomato.
(I prefer to remove tomato seeds before chopping tomatoes for this recipe.)
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped red onions.
- A handful of cut cilantro, roughly chopped.
- 8 to 9 oz of whole sweet corn kernels (fresh or canned).
(I recommend using no-salt-added sweet corn canned kernels. )
- Salt as per your taste.
(Chaat masala and the chutney has sodium content. Don’t forget to adjust salt accordingly.)
- 1 tbsp of oil to sauté the corn kernels.
- 2 tbsp thin and fine sev for garnishing.
(The sev doesn’t contain any chili powder or spices other than turmeric. It’s available in most of the Indian grocery stores named as thin/fine sev.)
- Preheat oven to 350° and bake Athen’s phyllo shells for about 6 mins.
(If can get hold of crispy canapés’ cups or phyllo shells, you can skip this step).
- Heat oil in the pan and sauté corn kernels for 4 to 5 minutes on a medium flame.
- Let the corn cool down.
- Mix onion, tomatoes, cilantro, tamarind-dates chutney, and corn together in a bowl.
- Sprinkle salt, 1/2 teaspoon chaat masala, red chili powder and stir well.
- Fill the canapés cup/phyllo shells with corn mixture and sprinkle chaat masala on them.
- Garnish the cups with the thin and fine sev.
- Serve pretty phyllo cups in a nice decorative plate!
Sprouts canapés chaat with micro greens & pink radish salad is another variation of the recipe. Boil moong sprouts for 4 to 5 mins, cook chana sprouts in a pressure cooker. Next, saute them in oil with turmeric, red chili powder, and salt. Turn off the heat and sprinkle a bit of chaat masala. The rest of the recipe is similar to corn canapés chaat, just replace corn with the cooked and seasoned sprouts.
Cherry on the top suggestion is to add finely chopped green mango pieces along with onion, tomatoes, cilantro, and chutneys. I guess mango on top would be more appropriate here 😉
Sweet corn kernels can be substituted with sprouts chaat for the filling. I tried sprouted black chana and sprouted whole green moong. It is delicious too, but my favorite version is canapés chaat made with sweet corn kernels.